KENNETH W. DAWSON
Chief Financial Officer (C.O.O.)
McCormick Dawson CPG, Ltd
Kenneth W. Dawson is a manufacturing Professional with a MBA degree, versatile leadership experiences blending Production and Materials responsibilities. His background features advanced strategies in Supplier selection to include international supply agreements, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, Supply Chain Management with LTA plans, Demand Flow, Kanban, ISO and QS environments.
Ken’s accomplishments demonstrate a diverse business acumen and strengths in: strategic planning; cost reduction initiatives; goal setting/achievement; quantitative and budgeting skills; and maximizing teams through training, mentoring and listening skills. He is personally flexible for success in both large and closely held environments.
VP, Director Global Supply Chain / OPERATIONS
MBA, BS (Business Administration/Labor Management), DMAIC, Green Belt Certified, Senior Supply Chain Professional, with more than 20 years of global sourcing and logistical experience in managing multi-million dollar supply chain operations over several plants, developing and implementing continuous process improvements, utilizing data analytics and exceeding Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that consistently converted organizational intent into tangible, deliverable results for companies ranging from $120 million (tier 1 manufacturer) to multi-billion dollar organizations such as General Electric Company and Barry Wehmiller Company.
Most recently, as Supply Chain Executive for Barry Wehmiller Company, Inc. ($6 billion in sales with 800+ union/non-union employees) in Green Bay, Wisconsin, accomplished the following 3 items: 1) Achieved $1.8 million cost reduction and a $2.7 million in ongoing project cost reductions over a 3-year period; 2) Improved out-the-door 20% by reducing both late and early deliveries while utilizing a score card process; and 3) Implemented a supplier Internet-based portal system with an ASN receipt process.
Areas of Operational Knowledge
Quantitative & Qualitative Analysis | Created a Shared Supply Chain Management Vision | Logistics & Distribution Planning/Asset Management |ERP System Knowledge |Demand Planning |Supplier Value Added Systems | Building & Leading High Performing Teams | Instituting Cost Reduction Measures | Establishing Effective Supplier Quality Control Measures | Supply Chain Road Map Development | Developing Advanced Analytics | Leading Cross-Functional Teams | Vendor Managed Inventory | Multi-Level Kanban Systems
- Purchase/Inventory Transitions: Entrusted by GE Oil & Gas senior executives to lead a major purchase and inventory transition of the natural gas line compressor business from Wisconsin to Houston over a 6-month period. Consequently, all planned transfers were timed to meet future scheduled orders and was completed on-time for production startup without any late deliveries to customers.
- Key Performance Indicators: Developed 20 KPIs specifically focused on supply chain and material receipts that included being chosen by executive leadership at Barry Wehmiller to implement a company-wide training program across 15 different manufacturing and purchasing sites. This training was structured to introduce the KPIs and necessary information gathering to report out daily, and proved instrumental in improving out-the-door and supplier quality tracking at all of the sites.
- Plant Consolidations: Selected by GKN Company executive management to lead a 10-plant consolidation project for powdered metal/components and related raw materials for automotive industry production serving GM, Honda and Chrysler. This project included over 100 items and more than $20 million in raw material costs, while simultaneously reducing total items by half and reducing the number of total suppliers from 30 to 10, generating cost savings of approximately $8.5 million.
- Cost Savings: Led an international strategic sourcing team for GE Oil & Gas, which represented a high-speed reciprocal gas line pumping equipment division. The team consisted of local members in China, India and Mexico to establish low cost sources of supply for engineered components with close tolerances. Weekly project calls were completed with the team to drive costs out with the best overall return from these target countries. Subsequently, the results were completed in just over 8 months with 50 items re-sourced at a cost savings of $4.5 million.
What Other's Say
Ken’s style is always straight forward in negotiations and supplier relations which made the customer – supplier relationship a rewarding and enjoyable experience. His knowledge of products and markets are superior.”
...Peter Brunk, VP of Sales at IBCC Industries
“Ken’s vast and diverse experience and expertise, inclusive of his strong knowledge of ERP systems and advanced supply chain strategies, standardized organizational processes, and certification in Lean-Six Sigma processes in DMAIC, has all resulted in several million dollars of cost savings and other accomplishments and successes driving much improved financial results. “
...Mark Green, VP of Purchasing at Barry Wehmiller Company
“Ken has delivered strong cost savings and vendor quality recovery results that have reached $5 million+ for GE Oil & Gas and any company would be lucky to have a consummate professional such as Ken.”
...Carlo Muzzarelli, COO, NKGB and former GE executive
Key areas of Supply Chain COMPETENCIES
Diversified Industrial Leadership | Forming & Leveraging Supplier Alliances | Contract Negotiations | Strategic Planning & Execution | Multiple Project Management | Utilizing Benchmark & Best Practices Techniques | Team Mentoring & Coaching | Top Executive Briefings & Presentations | Supplier Development | ISO & QS | P2P Processes | PPAP & ISIR | Department Budgeting | Cost Variance Reporting
Professional Experience & Achievements
Independent Consultant- Global Supply Chain / Materials Management. Nationwide. 2016 to Present. Currently in association with Maine Pointe Consulting and RGP Consulting.
Subject matter expert in global sourcing, supply chain, materials, inventory and logistics. Specializing on projects in the manufacturing sector from S&OP, to ERP planning systems to Strategic Sourcing with emphasis on cost reductions, and value-added programs.
Most recent project was analyzing an end to end supply chain function for improvements in operation that included OTD improvement strategies, MRP system setup, planning parameters and disciplines, as well as supplier scorecards and review process. Several cost out proposals generated as well as value added services from supply base.
Barry Wehmiller Company, Inc.
Green Bay, Wisconsin - 2011 to 2016
Supply Chain Executive – Scope of duties consists of providing overall leadership responsibilities for a multi-plant environment for all supply chain functions, for direct/indirect spend. Additionally, established strategic initiatives with an annual detailed spend analysis by commodity and supplier for rationalization of future spending and established goals for cost reduction targets, lead-time reduction targets, and supplier elimination/consolidation.
- Played a key role in developing a commodity tracking play book for metals, cooper, and other precious metals that led to price decreases year-over-year of 8%. Additionally, negotiated multi-plant Ariba contract for P2P system for major customers, saving $15,000 on this agreement.
- Improved OTD by 20% with process controls and supplier reporting system, and established Supplier Quality reporting along with 8D corrective action process to define root cause on errors.
General Electric, Oil & Gas Division
Oshkosh, Wisconsin - 2006 to 2011
Strategic Sourcing Leader – Responsibilities focused on managing all aspects of a high-speed recip. business unit sourcing team with business segment sales of $150 million, HSR spend of $70 million and 220 employees. Main line of business for the division produced compressors for major oil companies, industrial chemical manufacturers, and packagers worldwide.
- Drove reduction in backlog of non-conforming material resolution recovering over $1 million in defective material bill backs to suppliers, while improving OTD to 90% with supplier tracking and reporting system.
HB Performance Systems, Inc.
Mequon, Wisconsin - 2001 to 2006
Director of Procurement – Primary duties focused on supplying Tier 1 manufacturer of brake systems for Harley Davidson motorcycles, Polaris snowmobiles, Arctic Cat ATVs, John Deere lawn and garden equipment, and numerous off road farm and construction equipment with sales of $120 million, $46 million spend in castings, friction material, plastic, rubber, and steel annually through a staff of 4 buyers.
- Led the reporting to Harley Davidson for $20 million in tooling contracts and made recommendations for new spend. During a period of 5 years negotiated international supply agreements on castings and brake pads covering $15 million in materials.
- Developed suppliers for 'Tier II' machine and paint Kanban programs to feed other suppliers, resulting in a JIT for customer production saving $250,000 annually, and negotiated LTA programs for raw materials which included built in cost reductions for top 5 spend suppliers.
GKN Sintered Metals, Inc.
Germantown, Wisconsin - 1998 to 2001
Materials Manager – Led Materials Planning and Procurement for 4 plants in Wisconsin engaged in powered metals components for the Automotive Industry as well as Industrial applications. Customer list included GM, Chrysler, Honda, Briggs & Stratton, John Deere. Sales of $90 Million.
- As part of a Lean Implementation program, reduced planned runs by 50% which resulted in 25% reduction in green scrap. This was accomplished after a successful SMED event to reduce setup times by 60%.
Academic Credentials & Professional Development
MBA, Regis University, Denver, Colorado
BS, Business Administration/Labor Management, University of Wisconsin, Parkside, Wisconsin
Green Belt Certified
DMAIC, Six Sigma Quality; Reg#262453-278788
Project Management certified.
Change Management facilitation